Note: Hi, associates! Just a a fast reminder – a few of the hyperlinks on this website are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I could earn a bit of money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t price you something additional, and is a pleasant method to assist assist this website! I additionally wish to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t really tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
We’re on the eve of Valentine’s Day and I used to be craving one thing candy that I might additionally use as an excuse to bust out my heart-shaped silicon mould to make use of for heart-shaped pats of buttery unfold. So, I channeled my internal Leslie Knope and determined to make some crimson velvet-inspired vegan keto waffles! I actually love waffles as a result of they’re tremendous simple to make and actually scrumptious…and did I point out that they’re super-easy to make?
Traditionally, crimson velvet cake was made utilizing dutch-process cocoa, which reacted with the acid within the cake from buttermilk, and turned crimson. Sometimes beets had been used for colour as nicely, and that is what we’re going to riff off of right here. I additionally actually like utilizing beets as a result of they’re wealthy in antioxidants and have been proven to be heart-protective in research. Yay! Beets additionally work properly, as the flavour is well-masked by chocolate, which we’re additionally utilizing.
Up subsequent in our ingredient lineup is lupin flour. I haven’t used lupin flour an excessive amount of previously as a result of it all the time appeared to expensive to me. But, I’ve began utilizing it much more lately as a result of I simply actually prefer it, and it’s definitely worth the worth. Lupins are low in problematic lectins, excessive in protein (together with the elusive amino acid lysine), and really low in carbs. The flour on this recipe is barely 1g of web carbs, however packs 12g of protein. Crazy! Using lupin flour additionally signifies that this vegan keto waffle recipe shouldn’t be solely gluten-free, but additionally coconut-free, soy-free and usually nut-free. Good information for these of us with allergic reactions!
Anyway, I actually hope you’re keen on this recipe! If you make it, I’d like to see on social media, so be happy to tag @meatfreeketo on instagram or twitter (or simply go away a remark!). One of my favourite components of arising with these recipes (except for the consuming, in fact) is seeing what you guys make and the enjoyable twists you placed on the unique.
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Red Velvet Waffles (gluten-free, coconut-free, soy-free)
- Real speak – these aren’t tremendous crimson, however you can treatment this with an extra tsp of beet powder or your favourite meals dye!
- If you possibly can’t observe down cacao butter (or don’t wish to), you possibly can substitute it for two tbsp of vegan cream cheese or coconut manna.
- The granulated sweetener I take advantage of is from Lakanto (and you may save 20% with the code MEATFREEKETO on their web site), however you need to use any granulated sweetener, or omit it when you like issues on the less-sweet facet! They additionally make my absolute favourite sugar-free syrup of all time. Highly suggest it.
- I are likely to eat this complete factor on one sitting, as a result of it’s about 1/four of my day by day web carb consumption for the entire thing, nevertheless it’s additionally filling sufficient to solely eat half of without delay.
- I sometimes high this with the aforementioned Lakanto sugar-free syrup and a vegan buttery unfold or some coconut cream! I additionally wish to toss on some frozen raspberries, which is what the crimson issues within the image are.
- Unfortunately, you possibly can’t actually use flax right here rather than the psyllium. While it should maintain the dough collectively, it does crumble once you attempt to take it out of the waffle maker. You might make pancakes out of this recipe, utilizing a tbsp of floor flax as an alternative of the psyllium although!
- As talked about above, you can also make pancakes out of this recipe when you don’t have a waffle maker!
- While I try to offer correct dietary data, totally different manufacturers and styles of substances could have differing nutrient values, so your calculations might fluctuate.
Vegan Keto Red Velvet Waffles (gluten-free, coconut-free, soy-free)
These crimson velvet-inspired vegan keto waffles are scrumptious and straightforward to make. Plus, they’re gluten-free, coconut-free and soy-free!
- 1 small cooked & peeled beet (about 2oz/56g)
- 1.5 tbsp melted cacao butter OR 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp granulated sweetener (non-compulsory, when you like issues on the sweeter facet)
- 1/four cup (60ml) nondairy milk of selection
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/four cup (30g) lupin flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp complete psyllium husks (or 1 tsp psyllium husk powder)
- half of tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your waffle maker, based on the producer’s directions and evenly grease together with your most well-liked oil.
- In a meals processor, mix the beet, cacao butter, nondairy milk & apple cider vinegar. Process till comparatively clean (the cacao butter might begin to solidify once more a bit, however you principally simply need the big chunks.
- In a separate bowl, whisk collectively the remaining substances till completely mixed.
- Add the dry substances to the meals course of and pulse till a homogeneous dough types.
- Let the dough sit for about 5 minutes, till the psyllium gels up and the dough stiffens.
- Make waffles based on your waffle maker directions. I take advantage of a splash waffle maker (not the mini one) and this recipe makes one huge waffle in that, that I break up into items. I additionally often wait till the little mild goes off after which unplug the waffle maker and open it up, to let the waffle calm down for a minute earlier than gently eradicating it from the maker. This permits the psyllium and sweetener to arrange a bit and prevents crumbling!
While this recipe is written to be coconut-free, you possibly can substitute the lupin flour with coconut flour if want be!